Back in the 1920s Adolf 'Adi' Dassler started a workshop creating sports shoes in the family house in Herzogenaurach, Germany. In 1924, his brother Rudolf 'Rudi' Dassler joined his business and they became 'Gebruder Dassler Schuhfabrik' or Dassler Brothers Shoe Factory. Together they were successful selling 200,000 pairs of shoes each year before World War II, however the successful partnership lasted until 1948. Adi Dassler followed three guiding principles in his development work, driven by his passion for sports and shoemaking: To produce the best shoe to serve the needs of the sport. To protect the athlete from injury, and to make the product durable.